Day after day, we are moving closer to a situation where human efforts are blindly getting replaced with the assistance of technology. Since the technology for doing any kind of work is being introduced day by day, it is very important to develop a skill that allows us to stand out from the crowd and to excel in our job. Creativity, imagination skill, the ability to visualise, communication skill, etc., are some of such skills that allow individuals to stand much ahead of technology. So, in this modern competitive world, the development of a creative brain is very imperative for succeeding.
One of the very first images that commonly come into our minds whenever we hear the word ‘creativity’ is art. Why is it so? Are creativity and art interconnected? Let’s consider a simple example. We all agree with the fact that an artist is a creative person, but does that mean a creative person has to be an artist? No, right! Creativity can never be restricted as a skill that is only bestowed in artists. It can be applied in every field. A creative mindset favours an individual to think and come up with unique ideas. The ability to think and explore opportunities will help to solve multiple problems in our day-to-day lives. Let’s try to instil creativity in kids by providing exciting stories for kids from a young age. Reading the stories and learning the moral values from them will help them to mark remarkable academic and personal performance.
How to Foster Creativity in Kids?
Some of the simple activities that can be implemented to enhance the creative potential of kids are listed below.
- Encourage your little ones to read stories, essays, and other informative articles specially designed for kids. Reading offers a plethora of benefits, and thus, introducing the habit of reading is believed as one of the greatest gifts that parents can offer to their kids. Kids are provided with the opportunity to use their creativity and think by listening to the words showered on them. Based on the setting, characters presented, and the tone of the reading, they will visualise the plot in their minds. Along with improving creativity, such an exercise will help them to develop their language skills, vocabulary, imagination, emotional intelligence, thinking skills, general knowledge, communication skills, etc. While presenting the content, parents have to make sure that it is appropriate for their age.
- Art is one of the finest ways to stimulate creativity in kids. Individuals enter a new world of imagination by engaging in an artistic venture. So, provide them the space and time to find their interest in the field of art. Let them do it themselves, which will build creativity in them. Some of the art activities that can be provided to kids are listed below.
- Drawing and colouring activities
- Bead jewellery-making activities
- Hand puppet activities
- Clay and Dough activities
- Providing kids with legos, blocks, or other construction toys is another technique to improve their creativity. One of the significant advantages of such toys is that they will keep children occupied for hours by providing brain exercise. While engaging in such activities, kids are left with no other choice than to be creative to progress in it by developing things from scratch.
- One of the key areas where parents must take control is limiting the screen time of their kids. Watching television demands zero creativity in children. It hardly fosters any thoughts in their minds and makes them passive. According to recent studies, spending too much time in front of television can negatively affect the thinking skills and creativity of individuals.
- Don’t intervene in kids’ problems too quickly. Instead of offering a quick fix, leave them with the time to understand the problem and think of the solution. By fixing their troubles, we are actually restricting them from learning new skills or values. Allow them to find a way to solve their problems creatively.
Are these the only methods to enhance creativity in kids? Not at all. Based on their interest, they can choose any of the learning activities. Parents have to make sure that the activities provided to them are beneficial and fit for their age. Rather than asking them to engage with English poems, stories, essays, worksheets etc., every time, encourage them to participate in some extracurricular activities according to their taste. Such activities will help them to polish many of their talents. For more similar kid-friendly resources, visit BYJU’S website.
Leave a Reply