If you’re worried about improving your English speaking skills, don’t be! You have plenty of resources at your disposal to learn more and hone your skills. We put together this post with some of the best tips from experts on English pronunciation, fluency, and grammar. Use these pointers to make a conscious effort to improve the way you speak!
No matter what level you’re at in English speaking, it’s important that you try to improve at all times. The first step is understanding where your abilities lie right now by taking an online English proficiency test like the one we recommend here. Even if you’re a native English speaker, there’s always room for improvement whether it’s your pronunciation, vocabulary, or grammar.
Improving at any skill takes time and effort. When you want to improve at speaking English, often the most effective route is to improve at listening skills first. You can use these tips to help you become more fluent in the language!
5 Ways To Improve Your speaking Skills:
- Build A Sound Vocabulary : One of the best ways to improve your English speaking skills is by reading. Reading English fluently will give you a solid base on which to build your vocabulary.
- Practice & Listen To Audio Resources : The second most effective way to improve in English is through practice, either through listening and using the resources we recommend in this article, or by using the actual resources for listening practice such as FluentU or Deebated.com . The more you listen, the more you’ll probably want to read!
- Work On Your Pronunciation : Start with the basics by working on your pronunciation and intonation. Knowing how to pronounce words correctly will make a big difference in how people understand you. You can also work on your vocabulary by reading, pronouncing words out loud, and repeating until they feel natural.
- Attend Local Meetups : The best way to improve your speaking is by practising with real people! Look for local English meetups like language exchanges or events focused on improving your speaking skills, or even host one yourself to connect and practise with new language learners!
- Stay In Touch : Attend events, post to forums, and connect with other learners on social media. Participating in social interactions with your English will help you remember it!
These are just a few of the best ways to improve your English speaking skills. Now that you know some of the most important steps you can take to become a better speaker, it’s time to get started!
More Methods To Improve Your English Fluency :
- A great way to improve your fluency and speaking skills is by practising what you hear. If you’re trying to improve your speaking, find an audio resource that is at your level. A resource like FluentU will help you do this, as it provides real-world videos in a “learn mode” where you can tap on any word to see an interactive definition, example sentence, and useful grammar info!
- Intonation, or pitch, is a crucial element of speaking. It’s something that you need to practise to be able to do well. Even better is to practise with native speakers and even practise alone! At FluentU , choose the “Learn Mode” which will give you access to interactive subtitles and content, as well as daily lessons that you can listen alongside. You can also compare your accent against others by rating yourself on an interactive quiz.
- English pronunciation is also very important, so start off by listening to songs you like in English. Try to listen along and pick up on that pronunciation. It’s also important that you listen to real natives speaking instead of using those silly text-to-speech voices because they’ll help you develop a natural feel for how the language sounds without being able to read the words.
- One of the best ways to improve your vocabulary and speaking skills is by reading. You can find some great English stories online, or even better are books from fiction authors like James Patterson or William Shakespeare .
- Practice speaking English with people who don’t speak your native language. You’ll improve your pronunciation and vocabulary, and it’s a great way to meet new people!
- Watch TV shows, movies, or listen to the radio in English. This is a great way to understand native speakers as they use idioms and slang words that are hard to translate literally into another language. Plus you’ll learn all kinds of useful phrases without even realising it!
- Find an American or British person on Skype who will correct your pronunciation when you’re talking with them. You can also do this type of thing with other languages too, it’s just harder because those languages have less spoken varieties than English does.
Online Tests To Improve Your English Proficiency :
If you feel like you could use an English language refresher, there are a number of English proficiency tests out there that will give you the chance to test your skills and find where your strengths and weaknesses lie. Read on for more information about how to use English proficiency tests in order to improve your skills.
The first decision that you must make when it comes to these tests is whether or not you want them delivered over the internet. If you do, then there are four different online tests available: TOEFL (test of English as a foreign language), IELTS (international english language testing system), OPI (overseas professional individual program), and EPPE (english proficiency placement exam). If you prefer to sit for the tests in person, then there are two main types of exams that you can take.
One is an ETS (Educational testing service) English as a foreign language exam and the other is an IELTS test.
You can also choose from a number of different test organisations as well. The organisations listed above are by no means the only resources for online or in person English proficiency testing that are available to you, but merely a few of the most popular ones. If you would like more information about your specific options and how to get started, simply conduct some research online using your favourite search engine. There should be plenty of information available with just a little searching on your part.
You can improve your English by taking an online English proficiency test. I will recommend you to use Mercer Mettl. Mercer Mettl is one of the best websites where you can give online english tests and improve your english skill.