The concept of virginity holds significant cultural importance in a place like Dubai. The absence of it is often stigmatized. Interestingly, a woman’s hymen is a small piece of tissue in the vaginal opening. It can be affected not only by sexual intercourse but also by various physical activities like sports. Before digging deep into this subject, let’s explore what hymen is all about.
Understanding the Hymen
The hymen is a thin membrane partially or entirely covers the vaginal opening. It isn’t the same for everyone. It can vary in thickness and flexibility. It may even be absent in some cases. This fragile tissue can be torn or worn away due to activities such as swimming, horseback riding, or even during a routine medical examination.
Restoring the Hymen
Some women may wish to restore their hymen for personal or cultural reasons. Hymenoplasty is a surgical procedure designed to achieve this goal. There are three primary methods for hymenoplasty in Dubai:
- Hymen stitching is the most common approach. It involves sewing up the broken hymen or remaining tissue.
- Dissolvable sutures are typically used to eliminate the need for a follow-up visit to remove them.
- Local or general anesthesia may be administered to minimize discomfort.
- The procedure usually takes 30-40 minutes, and patients can return home the same day.
- Full recovery typically takes a few weeks.
- Hymen reconstruction may be necessary when there’s not enough hymen tissue left for stitching.
- In this case, the surgeon harvests live tissue from the patient’s body, often from the inner labia, to rebuild the hymen.
- Like hymen stitching, this procedure is typically performed outpatient which takes a couple of hours.
- It’s essential to abstain from sexual intercourse for three months to allow for complete healing following hymen reconstruction.
- Once fully healed, the reconstructed hymen functions similarly to a natural one. It includes the possibility of bleeding and discomfort during tearing.
- In cases where suitable body tissues for hymen reconstruction are unavailable, the alloplant technique is considered.
- An alloplant is a chemically processed biomaterial often used in transplantation. It is inserted as a substitute for the natural hymen.
- This technique provides a similar experience to a real hymen and is typically considered when no other options are viable.
It is often a concern for many women due to questions about pain and recovery. To ease these concerns, let’s look at the recovery period after hymenoplasty.
A Painless Procedure: Hymenoplasty is generally not a painful procedure. This is because a local anesthetic is administered during the surgery, and its effects usually last until the next day. As a result, you should not experience any significant pain. The procedure is designed to be as comfortable as possible.
Resuming Normal Life: One of the reassuring aspects of hymenoplasty is that you can typically resume your regular activities after the hymen repair. Whether it’s going about your daily routines or taking a shower, these activities are unlikely to cause harm to the newly repaired hymen.
Dissolvable Stitches: During hymenoplasty, dissolvable stitches are commonly used. The advantage of these stitches is that they will naturally dissolve within 1 to 2 weeks. This means you won’t need a follow-up appointment for stitch removal, making the recovery process more convenient.
Wound Healing Period: The actual healing time for the surgical site after hymenoplasty can vary but typically lasts between 10 to 14 days. While walking and light physical activity should not pose any problems, there is one necessary precaution to note.
It’s advisable not to spread your legs widely during this healing period. Doing so could exert unnecessary tension on the stitches, potentially leading to tearing.
Exercise and Physical Activity: After the initial 14-day period, you can gradually resume your exercise routine and physical activities. It’s essential to provide your body with sufficient time to ensure complete healing before engaging in more strenuous exercise. This period of recovery helps to avoid any complications or discomfort.
Timing of Intercourse: One of the most common questions regarding hymenoplasty recovery is when it’s safe to engage in sexual intercourse. It’s essential to understand that regardless of when healing is considered complete, any tearing of the sutured line during intercourse can result in bleeding.
This means that the timing of intercourse is not as crucial as ensuring you’re comfortable and fully healed before engaging in sexual activity. It’s advisable to consult with your healthcare provider for specific guidance on this matter.
Safety and Considerations
Hymenoplasty is a well-established and regularly performed procedure that carries minimal risk when conducted by a skilled and experienced surgeon. When considering hymenoplasty, finding a qualified healthcare professional who can understand your specific requirements and guide you through the entire process is essential.